12 April 2009

MTNL DSL internet, Does it work?

This is my complaint letter to MTNL for not rectifying the glitches in my Internet since last 15 days.

Dear Sirs,

Subject – New Panvel / Panvel Ex – Change. Precisely 12.36 % of service…rather, less than that.

A year in Dubai was proof enough, the kind of service that a state owned company can provide to the customers (the sole telephony/Internet providing company called Eitselat is simply excellent). This was the simple reason I opted for MTNL Tri Band - broad band connection, considering they are the best in the business and KNOW their business even though my father, who is from a different generation, was extremely skeptical about me having such high regards for a government owned entity here in India; and rightly so in all its probability.

While the connection lasted it seemed all hunky and dory, especially for a guy like me, who is make some extra money in this mighty recessionary period as a free lance writer and journalist. Work from home was never better before, when Internet was working and job offers were pouring in.

But nature and lack of service (of some) has a way of its own and due to reasons not even the holy trinity (Brahma, Vishnu and Mahesh) – The customer care executives of MTNL could understand or rectify…The Internet stopped working.

While I frantically tried calling and lodged complaints, I was told a variety of reasons from “D-Link router software is being updated” to “There appears to be some problem with your Local Exchange” etc.

I tried to understand what the real meaning for the web based marketing of MTNL actually stand for (I guess the return on investment for a govt. owned entity must be amazing when 125.71 crores is just booked on profits from Income Tax returns) and I have come to some really disturbing conclusion, which are as mentioned below for your kind perusal:


: Of Delhi and Mumbai…


Main features of MTNL Broadband /ADSL Service:


High Speed data Download – subject to availability of Internet.
Simultaneous availability of phone and Internet - On the existing telephone line “Always OFF Internet.

High on Value low on cost – Because our services do not work most of the time. Our profits are growing at 12.36% (service tax amount) every quarter.

Easy Registration – These are the simple abattoir techniques (read marketing) we follow.

Use now pay later – (TRY) using now, you will pay later anyways.

Video on demand etc in future – you will not ask for such high tech value added services, when basic Internet is not working.

Create own LAN network – Internet does not work? Try Local area networks, you can play multi-player solitaire. Its fun.

WHY BROADBAND / ADSL from MTNL:

Faster Connection – dedicated bandwidth:


And by non-connectivity - Kills

duruna Daongar saajaro (Making a mountain out of a mole hill).


Easy Communication: Talk and Surf at the same time.


Customers are cats and mice, devolved from Neanderthals and Darwinian primates that were, who can not meaningfully understand the abbreviation ISP…In the dark service providers.

…as much freedom as Afghanistan Democracy provides…Does it work, by the way?

…Aapke internet connection ko Hamari Bhav Purna Shradhanjali, incredible or what? That’s next generation non functionality…A(ye) DSL anyone?

Dear Sir, it’s been 15 days now that my Internet is not working and I have a hunch that it will not work tomorrow as well. I have been calling incessantly at the MTNL call centers and all the numbers that the people therein have been providing me. At one of the number provided, I was humbly told by the gentleman that ‘He’ did not have any problems with the Phone line or Internet line whatsoever. Apparently it was a wrong number.

It’s a humble request that you help me in getting my Internet connection back as well as deduct prorated amount (50%) from the Bill for non availability of services from the day of complaint (this one constitutes as a written one).

I was further told that this problem is occurring since MTNL exchange is moving from Old Panvel premises to some New Panvel premises and due to shifting of networks.

Its my personal opinion that I should not be subjected to pay for goof ups on behalf of service providers (Exchange) as the consequential losses that I am suffering (due to non availability of Internet, including cyber-café expenses) are of huge magnitude.

Yours truly,

Varun Gawarikar.

6 comments:

  1. Well buddy you are not the only one. I had applied for a BSNL Broadband connection which i was told will take 15 days. I eventually got Airtel in 1 day Flat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thats the sad fact of PSUs in India. Damn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been using the MTNL so called Broadband for the past one year.
    And if i remember, i have made atleast a million calls to the customer care representatives.
    They always say "Sir server Down hai, 24 hrs mein theek ho jayega". Bloody hell, its been 2 weeks now that my ADSL light is constantly blinking. And when its not constantly blinking then its OFF. But miraculously toady morning my net was working perfectly fine, i was getting a speed of 256kbps downloading as per the plan, in the afternoon, someone from MTNL called and asked if the internet was working fine, i said yes it's fine, but i want my moden to be replaced because the WiFi has never worked since day one, so he asks my address and says that we'll see to it, and voila as soon as i put down my reciever my ADSL light dissappears. Its been 7-8 hrs since then and its still not constant. On for 5 mins. and blinking for 30 mins, and OFF for another 30 mins. I wonder if that guy called to help me at all.
    And by the way he hasn't showed up as of now. And i can assure you that he won't be doing that tommorrow either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sabby,

    I thorougly understand your plight. Been there. I suggest you use the letter above and send it across to all the officer level cadres (make sure to change name / number etc).

    Send it across to area manager, zone and regaion manager and mark a copy to TRAI and their greivance cell.

    I assure you your net will start working within 2 days and will not stop if you download the wikipedia server (ok, that was a joke :P).

    It has worked wonders for met, the plan that I have stated above. I used it to optimum speed (256 Kbps).

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to switch to reliance

    but its not there in my area

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try Tata Indicom / reliance also has these data cards man...wireless networks. You may try that as well.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome.

Chori karna paap hai!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Page Rank. I have sucked in ranks since my school days.

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Copy (not) Right.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No Modi Xeroxes please!

Creative Commons License
Indian Citizen Ranting by Varun Gawarikar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.