25 October 2011

Love is a two way street: Love your hair and it loves you back!

Do you attempt to love your hair and often get caught? I mean hands get stuck in to tangeled hair ? If you are a guy like famed bollywood persona Anil Kapoor, may be you face the same troubles with body hair. Heck, forget the days when men had problems with body hair. These days most men are facing troubles with balding head, that too, at a tender age of 26. Just about the time when they are looking out for girls to settle down with. I know this one for sure as because in our group of 7 friends 3 have already gone a little bald and 2 of them are not even married yet.

Now this blogpost is more about loving and caring your hair and how I go about it. Its about Hair care. So hair hear ye. Its more about how I have nourshied my hair throughout the years and how my experience should help you to start immidiately doing the same.  Its more about how not to come to a position where your desperation might take you to Dr. Batra's Clinic for hair treatment. If you want to know more about hair damages and to pin point your hair damage problems, please visit the Dove Page. Its better than wikipedia on the subject matter.

Now I consider my self the most un-metrosexy guy alive on the planet. I don't even live in a Metro. maybe GramPanchayat sexy, or, Zilla Parishad Sexy. However, since I was born, one practise has not changed till date for me. Hair Oil massages on the head. Yes. The best way to nourish yourhair and rejuvenate. Since child hood, my mom used to give me oil massages on the head on almost daily basis and now its my wife who does that. Its by her free will she does it. Just ot be clear. It is one of the reason 99% of my hair are still black and touch wood I have not once used hair dye products nor do I face a balding problem.

Now the best way to go about head/hair massages is to first nicely shampoo & condition and then apply the oils. As you close your eyes, sitting on the floor, eased up against the bed and wifey goes about massaging your head - Its pure bliss. For those moments mind roams around the most beautiful imaginery places  - maybe Alice's wonderland.You murmur something and wife retorts, "Who the fuck is Alice?". You come back to reality. All good fun. 

Now to enhance this experience I have meddeled around with soaps, shampoos, conditioners and oils a lot. While I started off with just Lifebuoy / Detol Soaps and Parachute hair oil, well  I had not reached puberty then and such decisions were beyond my worldy worries then...I have come a long way since though. Apparently, there are plethora of products available in the market which claim to strengthen your hair, decrease hairfall, add lustre and shine, prevent dandruff etc and generally have ingredients ranging from lemon extracts, herbal essences, brahmi, amla, shikakai and what not. Searching for hair oils too, can become a cumbersome process and the self blending at home does help a little. My wife mixes olive oil + Almond oil to make her own special poition, which does not smell one bit and has an relaxing effect.



Remember the rage with Jojoba oils some years ago? Well, I too, got caught up in the rage, may be like Mr. Steve Martin, a.k.a Inspector Jack Clouseau. The jojoba oils / shampoos / conditioners are really do nourish your hair unlike any other products available in the market. The difference I felt was, albeit, remarkable. The only problem was that these products were way too expensive and weren't easily available in the market.
Do not get carried away watching the video!

Thats when my frantic searches led me to Vita oils. The best search on the subject matter led to the manufacturers of Vita oils extracts. Here is the link to understand Vita Oils Vs. Jojoba Oils. While the pros of using vita oils are much more, the biggest deterrent, again, is the costs involved. Just to sum up the pros here from the website:
1) Vita oils do contain jojoba oils, although, they are processed to remove all the contamination and microorganisms, if any.
2) Vita-Oil contains other ingredients which I believe help it’s effectiveness.  One is lecithin. This is a natural phospholipid quite similar to the lipid in our epidermal barrier. Lecithin also acts as an emulsifier.  What this means is that it allows water on the skin to bind with the jojoba oil. As every one knows, water and oil do not mix. Water is what hydrates the skin. Oil prevents the water from evaporating. Vita-Oil will mix with the water because of the presence of this natural emulsifier. This is the rationale for my advising the consumer to use Vita-Oil on wet skin.
3) Vita-Oil also contains other ingredients which serve as anti- oxidants.  Aside from the lecithin which is also an anti-oxidant, the others are esters of vitamin C & A. Anti-oxidants are important in a product to prevent uptake of oxygen which causes degradation of the oils causing rancidity.  They also have beneficial effects on the skin.  During formulating stage of Vita-Oil, one of the criteria I had was to have a simple product with as few ingredients as possible. This is critical for hypersensitive skin. The few ingredients included serve a purpose.


During searching for products that have extracts of Vita Oils, I stumbeled upon Dove India's new launch of shampoos, conditioners, oils and repair therapy . Vita Oils seems to be the promising ingredient in their products which I do not believe any one else n the market is offeriong as of now. These products seems to be assuring, effective and most importantly, cost effective.

BTW, did you know that Doves and Pigeons can actually, by choice, stall their flight to divert the attacker (Eagle etc). While this fact is not relevant here, Dove does, indeed, bring to market something unique and promising.



Other References you may like to see:


1) What I suggest is make a note of the type of hair you have and use the shampoos and conditioners accordingly.
2) Try this Helpline page,
3) Experiment with some home remedies (all of them take less than 20 mins of your precious time).
4) If you are not sure, raise a query, it gets answered too.

19 comments:

  1. Varun, you certainly don't seem from some gram panchayat or a zila prishad! haha. You mentioned a very important practice - Hair Oil massages on the head, I strongly agree. Besides, in your point 3 of Vita vs. Jojoba you talked about Anti-oxidants and the scientific saying is that if you simply focus on the right intake of anti-oxidants (a variety of fruits & vegetables), then your maximum health problems would be under control, hair included. Thumbs up for writing on this. BTW, who was Alice? ;)
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the comments Arif. Food intake helps prevent 80% of the problems and the more natural you keep the more better.

    Alice is from wonderland buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing works better than home remedies; it's nice see you taking care of your hair in the natural way......ALL THE BEST FOR THE COMPETITION.

    From: sriramnivas.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for the comment Sri :) I have to agree. Home remedies are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written. Good Luck
    Thank you for dropping by at my entry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot Bindu and Best of Luck to you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice and different ....best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post with an equally good title to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. as always.. good write up V..and best of luck for the competition..aab samjha aapki zulfo ka raaz...Rapunzel will be jealous now...
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He he Ash :) thanks a lot for the comment. You should have entered the contest too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. very good and interesting post...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You seem to have done a good amount of research on Dermatology man... Good one again..

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I started reading the post, I felt like it was written keeping me in mind! ;) Though I am strongly in favor of the oil massage; at the same time I am not so in favor of the excessive use of Shampoos and conditioners. But because of the nature of my hair, I cannot do without using shampoo daily, but now I try to be very less cosmetic and very much Aurvedic. It really has helped me in reducing hairfall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rahul...being Indian males, most of our stories, pertaining to hair, would be identical for sure :)

    My sisters / bhabhis / aunts / mom / grandmas all vouch for shikakai, however, considering it does not give froth like shampoos, the use has somehow declines over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good info on Vita oils!. Best of luck for competition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @bemoneyaware : Thanks a lot for the comment and best of luck to you too :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are most welcome.

Chori karna paap hai!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Page Rank. I have sucked in ranks since my school days.

Check Page Rank of your Web site pages instantly:

This page rank checking tool is powered by Page Rank Checker service

Copy (not) Right.

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected

No Modi Xeroxes please!

Creative Commons License
Indian Citizen Ranting by Varun Gawarikar is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.